How to get to the Port of Civitavecchia: the definitive guideDiscover the main connections to get to the Port of Civitavecchia: airports, train stations, buses, roads and pedestrians walkaways
Heres finally a useful guide for all those who mean to get to the Port of Civitavecchia and embark on the next cruise ship or ferry boat.
How to get there? Which public transports get? Which are the airoports and stations connected to the port?
After reading this article youll be able to build your itinerary planning your roadmap step by step based on your demands.
GETTING TO THE PORT OF CIVITAVECCHIA: THE AIRPORTS
For those arriving by plane, there are two close airports to get to the Port of Civitavecchia:
- Fiumicino Airport - Leonardo da Vinci
- Ciampino Airport
Fiumicino Leonardo Da Vinci airport is the main airport of Rome, located only at 60 km away from the Port of Civitavecchia, while Ciampino airport, located further, is about 85 km away.
Considering the distances, the Fiumicino airport is the easiest solution to get faster to Civitavecchia and its Port but it is not always the cheapest option since most low-cost companies fly to Ciampino airport.
Anyway, depending on where you land, you will have to choose whether to travel by private or public transport to get to the Port of Civitavecchia: these are the main available options.
FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE TRAIN STATIONS
Rome Fiumicino airport is provided with a train station, while Rome Ciampino airport is connected to the station with the same name by Shuttle Buses run by ATRAL. Anyway nowadays there are no direct connections and you need to change trains at least once in orfer to get to Civitavecchia Train Station.
- From the station of Fiumicino Airport take a direct train to Rome, get off at the stop Roma Trastevere and change trains, towards Civitavecchia. This way it will take a little less than 1 hour and a half paying an overall of €12,60 (€8 + €4.60). You can also get off at Roma Ostiense to change trains towards Civitavecchia.
- From Rome Ciampino airport you can get to Civitavecchia station changing trains twice:
- first, getting the Shuttle Bus ATRAL that connects the airport with the station in about 5 minutes at a cost of €1.20.
- once at Ciampino train station, get on a train to Roma Termini, paying €1.50 (departures every 12 minutes). You can buy the tickets at the information boes at the airport, directly on board or from any authorised vendor.
- from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia the price for a regional train ticket is €5 (about 1h15m), an Intercity train costs €11 (48m), and a Freccia Bianca train costs €15 (42m).
USEFUL INFORMATION TO GET IT RIGHT:
FL1: train line connecting Fiumicino train station with Roma Trastevere and Roma Ostiense stations.
FL4: train line connecting Ciampino station with Roma Termini and other towns of Castelli Romani.
FL5: train line connecting many stations in Rome among which Roma Termini, Roma Ostiense, Roma Trastevere and Roma San Pietro with Civitavecchia station.
Anyway, to be always updated on timetables and prices, refer to the Trenitalia website.
FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE BUS STATION
Alternatively to the train, both Rome Fiumicino and Ciampino airports are connected to Roma Termini Station by bus:
- From Rome Fiumicino: you can get to Roma Termini station in 60 minutes for €5 buying your ticket on advance at the offices within the airport or from any authorised seller. If you buy the ticket on board there's an extra cost of €2.
- From Rome Ciampino: with the Shuttle Bus ATRAL you can get to Ciampino train station from the Airoport in only 5 minutes for €1.20. From there, every 12 minutes run trains to Roma Termini, for € 1.50 (one way ticket). you can buy your ticket at the offices in the airport directly on board or from any authorised seller.
NOTA BENE: from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia the ticket price for regional trains is €5 (about 1h15m), for Intercity trains it is €11 (48m) while for Freccia Bianca trains the cost is €15 (42m).
Whatever your choise is (train or bus) you will get to Civitavecchia Train Station. Before continuing, make sure you read the article below:
GETTING TO THE PORT OF CIVITAVECCHIA BY PRIVATE TRANSFER
It won't be the cheapest option but surely getting to the Port of Civitavecchia by private trandsfer from the airport is the more comfortable solution.
Nowadays all buses, taxis, etc which are authorised (car and driver hire) who make the transfer arrive directly at the Centro Servizi Largo della Pace, main information point of the Port of Civitavecchia and point of arrival and departure for all cruise passengers. From there you can use a free shuttle bus service to get to the docks where cruise ships embarking and disembarking take place.
Usually, when you buy the flight tickets with the cruise company the airport transfer is included; in case you don't have it, look below:
GETTING TO THE PORT OF CIVITAVECCHIA BY CAR
If you are planning to get to the Port of Civitavecchia by car follow these easy directions:
- From South (arriving from A1)
Casello A1 – Roma sud – 90 km. Drive along the GRA (Grande Raccordo Anulare) A90 direction to the inside Appia/Fiumicino airport; then take exit for Fiumicino aeroporto/Autostrada A12 and continue on A12-towards Civitavecchia. Exit at Civitavecchia Sud (toll €1.20) and from there follow directions to Interporto-Civitavecchia-Sardegna.
Alternatively continue until the toll booth of Civitavecchia Nord (toll €2.30) and from there, at the junction to Tarquinia follow directions to Interporto-Civitavecchia-Sardegna. You will drive a little more kilometers but it will be faster since you will avoid the traffic of the city center.
- From North (arriving from A1)
Casello A1 – Orte – 84 km. Take SS 675 towards Viterbo; exit at Viterbo Sud and continue along the SS 2 – Via Cassia towards Vetralla. At Vetralla continue along the SS1BIS – direction Civitavecchia, and then along the SS1 Aurelia. At this point, follow directions for Interporto-Civitavecchia-Sardegna.
The only access to vehicles of the port is at Varco Vespucci. We recommend to have close to hand your travel documents and the ID documents necessary for embarking. Finally print your parking booking confirmation, or, if you haven't booked it yet click on the following link:
Enjoy your trip!
Port of Civitavecchia